Friday, August 16, 2013

New €5 Banknote

So who knew that there was a new €5 banknote in circulation?  I flew in to the Netherlands today, and while waiting for my bus to Amsterdam, I decided to grab a latte.  I gave the cashier €10 and got this funny looking €5 bill back.  I looked at her like she was crazy.  I wasn't in the mood to play "let's mess with the tourist" and deal with Monopoly money given out as change.  She laughed and assured me that this is the new €5 bill.

The European Central Bank began issuing the new bills on May 2, 2013.  Apparently there are several new security features built in to the banknote.  In 2014, the new €10 bill goes in to circulation.

Front side


Here's a comparison of the old and new banknotes.

The old version is on top and the new version is on the bottom.

Back side




I didn't come across any of the new bills a couple of weeks ago when I was in Bratislava.

The new notes still look like Monopoly money to me. 

Here's a commercial I found on YouTube about the new banknotes.

©European Central Bank

No comments:

Post a Comment