Friday, November 27, 2015

My 1st Czech Black Friday

Today was another first.  After six years here I didn't think I would still be having "firsts" but here we are.  I experienced my first Czech "Black Friday".

In the USA, Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday in November.  The day after is called Black Friday. It's not a real holiday.  It is considered the start of the Christmas shopping season.  Most of the major retailers open very early and offer crazy promotional sales.  It's not unheard of for people to get in line in front of the store the night before so as to get in the store first.  Personally, I'm not a fan and have never gone Black Friday shopping.

Well today was my first but to be honest it wasn't intentional.  Tomorrow is "Czechsgiving" so Claudia and I went to Tesco at Královo Pole for groceries.  I also wanted to pick up Tünde's Christmas present.  It looks like Santa is going to bring her a keyboard and microphone this year.  It makes noise so I'm sure she'll love it.

I could not believe the line of people inside the store to buy electronics.  It was insane.  This Black Friday nonsense is definitely something that I hope doesn't really catch on over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment